The touristic Cluj
Discover the beauties of the treasure city
Capitolina City Chic *** offers its customers the advantage of an ultra-central location. Located in the historical, touristic and commercial center of Cluj-Napoca, the hotel represents the perfect choice for business or relaxation. The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the promenade area, Avram Iancu Square and the Orthodox Archiepiscopal Cathedral, Union Square, the statue of Matei Corvin and Saint Michael’s Church, Students’ Culture House, the Botanical Garden or the National Theatre. During your stay at Capitolina City Chic we invite you to discover part of the town’s beauties and enjoy a relaxing visit.
Avram Iancu Square :
The Orthodox Cathedral of Cluj was built between 1920-1930, right after the Union of Transylvania with the Romanian Old Kingdom. It is one of the city’s main religious buildings. Highly specialized works were done, among which, the building of the four towers, surrounding a central tower, the sculpting of the 18 giant columns from the Rotunda of the large tower, medallions carved in rock, rock arcs on the lateral facades. It has 4 bells, brought from Hungary, the largest one weighing almost 2 tons.
The National Theatre and Romanian Opera: The building hosting the National Theatre “Lucian Blaga” and the Romanian Opera was built between 1904-1906 by the famous company from Vienna „Fellner und Helmer”, by combining Neo-Baroque and Secession style elements. The hall has 928 seats and represents the Neo-Baroque style, with inflexions inspired by Secession in the decoration of the lobby. Since its opening, over 200 operas, operettas and ballets from the international repertory were presented on the stage of the Romanian Opera.
The Roman-Catholic Church of „Saint Michael” is one of the most representative monuments of the Gothic architecture in Transylvania. The church was built in the Central Square of the city and is one of the symbols of Cluj-Napoca. It is considered to be one of the most imposing Gothic buildings in Romania, 70 meters long and 80 meters high. The Statuary Ensemble Matei Corvin is composed of five statues, representing King Matia (equestrian) and his four generals. It was uncovered in 1902 in the Central Square of Cluj-Napoca. The model, made by the artists János Fadrusz and Lajos Pákey, received in 1900 the grand prize of the Universal Exhibition in Paris. The Monument became, over the years, a symbol of the city.
The Matia House in Cluj is one of the oldest architectural monuments in Cluj, the only palace in the city representing the transition period, from the Gothic style, to Renaissance. Here, the king was born. The palace was built in the 15 century, in a Gothic style. Over the years, it has suffered many modifications and adaptations to new styles. Thus, in the first half of the 16 century, a series of architectural elements from the Renaissance were added.
The Calvin-Reformed Church, located on KogÄƒlniceanu Street in Cluj-Napoca (in Hungarian: Farkas utcai Református Templom, in German: Reformierte Kirche in der Wolfsgasse), right next to the Tailors’ Bastion, is one of the most valuable Gothic buildings in Transylvania and was built between 1486-1516. The church is no longer known by the name Central Reformed Church or the Reformed Church from the Road of Wolves. The Road of Wolves is one of the oldest streets in Cluj-Napoca.
The Art Museum of Cluj-Napoca Is one of the most important museums in Romania, with a collection of over 12.000 pieces, from painting, sculpture, graphic and decorative arts.
The National Ethnographic Park„Romulus Vuia”.Established in 1929, the park was named after the founder and first manager of the museum, professor Romulus Vuia. The exhibits are constructions grouped according to household area types and popular architecture monuments. It is the oldest and largest ethnographic museum in Romania; the oldest exhibits are from 1678.
The Central Park: Over 180 years old, the park is one of the city’s main relaxation places. It is located on the shore of the river SomeÅŸul Mic.
The „Alexandru Borza” Botanical Garden was founded in 1920 by professor Alexandru Borza. With a surface of over 14 hectares, located in the southern side of the city, the botanical garden was organized after the Union of Transylvania with the Romanian Old Kingdom, in the birth years of the city’s universities, and has managed, over the years, to become a touristic landmark and an important study and scientific space for the “BabeÅŸ-Bolyai” University.
The Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania was founded in 1922 by professor Romulus Vuia and has entered the elite of the Romanian ethnographic museums, due to the exceptional quality of its patrimony. It currently gathers 41.000 traditional peasant objects, dating from the 17th to the 20th century and a documentary fund of over 80.000 exhibits.
Saint George’s Statue represented killing the dragon is a copy of the Saint George’s Statue from Prague, the original being crafted by masters Martin and George at the end of the Middle Ages. The copy was made in 1904 by the restorer Kálmán Lux (1880-1961). It was placed in Cluj around the year 1900, initially in “Saint George’s Square” (renamed during the communist period in “George Sion Square”, then in “Peace Square”, presently “Lucian Blaga Square”), in front of the University Library. In 1960 it was moved in the small square in front of the Calvin-Reformed Church on KogÄƒlniceanu Street, as it was considered to be a more appropriate location.